Activities in Swine 2 include managing baby pigs, balancing a ration, exploring swine diseases, preparing pork, discovering swine careers and packing a show box. Grades 6-8.
Purchase this curriculum
Let's get started!
This guide is an important part of the swine project. Swine 2 offers you new challenges and opportunities to explore a wide range of activities related to swine. You'll also have fun meeting new people, becoming better acquainted with your community and expanding your interests and goals. Like Swine 1, an achievement program is included to guide your efforts and provide you an opportunity to be recognized for meeting your goals. You'll be surprised at the many fun and interesting things you'll learn. Don't be afraid to jump right in, and don't give up if the activity doesn't work out the first time. You're still learning, right? The most important thing is to try. Once you try, then think and talk about what happened or didn't happen, and why.
Swine 2 Project Guidelines
- Do a minimum of seven activities in Level 2 of the Swine Achievement Program each year.
- Complete Level 2 within three years from the time you begin.
- Practice and develop the life skills of making decisions, leading self and others, relating to change and planning and organizing.
- Participate in a minimum of five of the learning experiences listed on the Planning Guide each year.
- Keep the Planning Guide current by setting project goals and recording project highlights you experience.
- Increase your swine knowledge and skills.
Swine 2 Achievement Program
The activities will challenge you to explore areas of the project you perhaps haven't experienced before. Do your best to complete each activity and answer the questions. Work with your helper to complete each experience. You may need additional resources to complete some of the activities. Swine magazines, books, tapes, commodity groups, feed and equipment manufacturers and marketing groups are good resources. The library will also have several references to help you.
Your Project Helper
The choice is yours! The person you choose to be your project helper needs to be willing to support your efforts to complete Level 2 of the Swine Achievement Program. Your helper will meet with you to set goals, plan activities, suggest resources to use, discuss each activity with you and date and initial your achievement program each time you have successfully completed and activity.